Offer in a dhcp fo setup with split 255

Meike Stone meike.stone at googlemail.com
Tue Nov 8 10:27:13 UTC 2011

2011/11/7 Peter Rathlev <peter at rathlev.dk>:
> On Mon, 2011-11-07 at 18:46 +0100, Meike Stone wrote:
>> > I've not used failover, but my understanding is that the split value
>> > controls only how IP addresses are split between the servers - it does not
>> > control which one answers a client query.
>>
>> From manual page:
>> "The split value determines how many of the leading bits are set to
>> one. So, in practice, higher split values will cause the primary to
>> serve more clients than the secondary."
>>
>> I configured "split 0/255"! Then only one server should answer with a
>> OFFER if DHCP-FO is in NORMAL state?
>
> Nope. Both servers can (and do) answer. The split decides which server
> "owns" the lease and both can answer,

Yes but, in the normal state, each peer is answering queries from _its
assigned_ leases?
The Load balancing is part of DHCP failover, and a simple set of rules are used
to determine which peer should respond to the clients query.
The algorithm (RFC-3074) is used to determine which peer will answer, and which
peer will ignore the request.  The hash returns a number from 0 to
255, and each
peer consults a table to determine, given the hash number, if it is a
query it should process?

> cf. recent discussions on this list.
Please can you point me there? I'm sorry, that I doggedly!
I'm new in that topic and I want understand it right.

Thanks Meike.