Help with DHCPv6 client-identifiers

Alex Bligh alex at alex.org.uk
Sat Nov 19 13:26:32 UTC 2011

--On 19 November 2011 10:09:00 +0000 Ted Lemon <Ted.Lemon at nominum.com>
wrote:

> Then it is indeed fortunate that DHCPv6 doesn't do what you want.   Using
> prefixes wider than /64 breaks IPv6.   That's why SLAAC doesn't do it.

RFC reference please. As far as I'm concerned, IPv6 supports prefix lengths
right up to /128. Due to various protocol brokenness, it's difficult to
configure hosts with longer prefixes than /64, but that is a different
issue.

SLAAC assumes /64 maximum prefix length. That is a design decision
within SLAAC. It's perfectly possible to use prefix lengths longer than
/64 within IPv6. I know I can't do it with RA/SLAAC etc., which is why I
was hoping to do it with DHCPv6, which is broken for quite separate reasons.

As it is, we hand out a /64 for every VLAN, which is an unnecessary waste
of space IMHO, as VLANs are generally sparsely populated.

--
Alex Bligh