Help with DHCPv6 client-identifiers

Alex Bligh alex at alex.org.uk
Sat Nov 19 19:50:23 UTC 2011

--On 19 November 2011 19:39:54 +0000 Ted Lemon <Ted.Lemon at nominum.com>
wrote:

> On Nov 20, 2011, at 12:39 AM, "Alex Bligh" <alex at alex.org.uk> wrote:
>> However,
>> in one application we have, there is a virtual router port per VM, which
>> results in a /64 per machine if SLAAC etc. is used, which is hugely
>> wasteful.
>
> I'm pretty sure you're allowed to use a /127 for point to point links.

Right, but one end is a virtual router, the connectivity is virtual
ethernet, and the other end is a VM running an unknown OS. dhcpv6 has poor
prevalence in such OS, and in any case I can't without using dhcp in a
non-standard way determine the device by the MAC address I've given it, and
circuit ID methods require similar hacks; none of that is attractive. So
that leaves me with autoconfig and a /64.

--
Alex Bligh