Help with DHCPv6 client-identifiers

Alex Bligh alex at alex.org.uk
Sat Nov 19 20:03:08 UTC 2011

--On 19 November 2011 19:57:49 +0000 Ted Lemon <Ted.Lemon at nominum.com>
wrote:

> On Nov 20, 2011, at 4:51 AM, "Alex Bligh" <alex at alex.org.uk> wrote:
>> Won't non-unique MAC addresses on a single subnet present you with
>> larger problems than failure to get IP addresses?
>
> Not really.   The IP stack will just drop the packets that are intended
> for the other host.   I suppose it creates a privacy issue.

Most switches do not reliably deliver packets to both NICs if the same MAC
is presented on multiple ports.

Are you really suggesting there is no requirement for uniqueness of
hardware addresses in a broadcast domain, but that there is a requirement
for IPv6 subnets to be /64 or shorter?

--
Alex Bligh