different devices getting the same ip address

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Wed Nov 30 09:27:32 UTC 2011

Tom De Moor (VCLB Gent) wrote:

>i m having the following problem:
>multiple Samsung Galaxy* *Gio get the same ip from our dhcp-server.
>How can i resolve this?

Find the owners and inform them that their device configs are broken :

>   hardware ethernet 18:46:17:6d:dd:be;
>   uid "\000K";

>   hardware ethernet 18:46:17:6d:dd:3e;
>   uid "\000K";

Because the devices are using the same client ID, they are the same
device as far as DHCP is concerned.

If you have no idea who the owners are, then try something like :

Define a class, match on option client ID="\000K", and deny booting.
The devices will then fail to get an address and the owners will
contact you to complain.

--
Simon Hobson