Diferent dhcp relay

Peter Rathlev peter at rathlev.dk
Wed Oct 12 06:51:33 UTC 2011

On Tue, 2011-10-11 at 13:31 -0700, michoski wrote:
> On 10/11/11 12:57 PM, "Simon Hobson" <dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk> wrote:
> > Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
> Let's start judging messages based on content vs. format.  I think that's a
> winning strategy, much like we see in life!

But people should keep in mind that the chances of someone wanting to
answer a question or investigate a problem depends on how much they're
pampered to.

At work I use top-posting and full quoting, and every quote includes
some "important" headers (From:, To: Subject: Date:). This aids in
documentation. But on mailing lists we already have the previous mails,
including subjects and who they're from. If not in our mailboxes then in
the archives. The only thing we need in a new mail is a short pointer
that basically tells us "where we are". Everything else is an irritant.

When I look at en email that displeases my sense of aesthetics I'm
inclined to just not answer. Likewise for obvious questions/problems or
when people haven't read previous emails and thus grossly misunderstand,
these two being about content.

I see Simon's "preamble" as a kind and humorous way of explaining to a
new participant how to do things right. He continued with solid advice
on the problem.

--
Peter