why pump sends second discover packet

Bjørn Mork bjorn at mork.no
Mon Oct 17 17:09:28 UTC 2011

Alan Buxey <A.L.M.Buxey at lboro.ac.uk> writes:

> http://lmgtfy.com/?q=second+DHCPdiscover+packet+in+pump+patch
>
> fixed back in 1999....
>

> pump??? ouch. slackware 1 or Debian 2.0?

Don't think those came with any default dhcp client at all...

And dhcpcd also predates pump IIRC.  See e.g.
http://stommel.tamu.edu/~baum/linux/LDP/HOWTO/mini/DHCP-3.html

BTW, I vaguely remember creating a patch for dhcpcd 0.70 to avoid
releasing the lease on exit.  Back in the good old days when I pubished
a DHCP assigned address from my cable provider in a DNS glue record.
Giving it up on reboot was not an option :-)

>  dhclient fixed that for
> you a long time back...and is the standard client these days...

Absolutely.  But as a service provider you'll have to support lots of
old, buggy and weird clients.  pump is one of them.

Bjørn