dhcp server on cluster best practices

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Mon Oct 17 18:43:40 UTC 2011

José Queiroz wrote:

>I configured these machines to work on failover
>mode, so each cluster node is a failover peer.
>
>The problem is that now we'll have a third
>cluster node, and the failover mode will no more
>be feasible.

Ok, I see a number of options.
You could continue with just two nodes running
DHCP - losing one would be irritating, losing a
second could be considered careless ;-)

Or, you could split the pools up and run a three
way failover - whilst any pool may only be shared
across two servers, you can share different pools
with different servers. So setup three pools (a,
b, and c), and have three servers (1, 2, and 3).

Pool a has failover between 1 & 2
Pool b has failover between 2 & 3
Pool c has failover between 1 & 3

So each server supports 2/3 of your address
space, with failover to two separate servers.
If you lose any one server then "no-one notices"
If you lose two servers, then only 1/3 of the
address space is affected, and clients will
migrate to the other servers as their leases
expire.

Of course, load is also plit 3 ways.

--
Simon Hobson