dhcp server on cluster best practices

José Queiroz zekkerj at gmail.com
Tue Oct 18 12:53:19 UTC 2011

2011/10/18 Glenn Satchell <glenn.satchell at uniq.com.au>

> Hi José
>
> dhcpd 3.0.3 is *very* old and has a lot of known bugs with failover. You
> will do yourself a big favour if you upgrade to a newer version. 3.1 would
> be the minimum, but either of the latest 4.1 or 4.2 releases are also known
> to be good. Your config and lease files should work without change on the
> new versions.

Indeed, is the version distributed with the system, that is an old
distribution (SLES 10). But I need to use this exact distribution, because
is the only that works with the cluster (Novell OES2). Besides, I don't have
the time to keep the system with nonstandard packages. I understand the
importance of using up-to-date software versions, but I will not change this
now, and will not waste any time on this for a long time.

By the way, does any one ever used lease/log files on shared disks? If the
performance penalty of working this way isn't too strong, I'll just move the
files to the storage, and use the cluster tools to have a single dhcp
instance.