DHCPD performance -- solid-state disks?

John Hascall john at iastate.edu
Fri Sep 9 14:51:50 UTC 2011

All,

We are starting to see our dhcpd server unable to cope with
our peak load (the top of the hour when students move from
one building to another).   Ideally, our wireless infrastructure
would allow them to keep their address as they roam, but this
is not the case, so we see large surges in lease-swapping during
these 10 minute periods.  It looks like we can do about 50/second
with our current hardware.  The CPUs are never above a few percent
busy, so my belief is that we are limited by our synchronous-write
speed to the lease file.  Does this seem correct?

We are currently using mirrored 15k SAS drives.  Is our best
move to go to solid-state disk?

Thanks for any advice you might have!

John