DHCPD performance -- solid-state disks?

Jason Antman jantman at oit.rutgers.edu
Fri Sep 9 16:38:01 UTC 2011

Well if the server loses power... we've got bigger issues. All of our
wireless controllers are in the same rack, everything is dual PS coming
off of separate PDUs fed from separate UPSes. With generator power.
That's a contingency that we don't really plan for, right or not.

I didn't mention, we also have a script that copies the leases file
every 2 minutes to HDD, and SCPs it to our backup DHCP server (manual
failover). I have yet to see 4.2.0 die unexpectedly, even with ~50+
ACKs/second for months at a time. Then again, we also have a fair amount
of fixed-address hosts, so we restart a few times a day to every few
days. Honestly... if we lose 2 minutes of leases, nobody is going to
complain. Wireless (at least when we're talking about a campus with over
1000 APs, and no policy against unauthorized APs/routers) is still
"best-effort" enough that a minor hiccup for a few users isn't a big deal.

So if, for some strange reason, the box itself loses both PSes at once
or otherwise totally crashes (we're running new HP DL360G6 hardware...
quite reliable IMHO), we lose <= 2 minutes of leases. But have to
manually failover to the backup. If we take a serious power hit that
brings down both circuits, *everything* goes dark, and DHCP no longer
matters.

-Jason