HP xw6400 Network Boot DHCP failure - no client DHCPREQUEST after server DHCPOFFER

Glenn Satchell Glenn.Satchell at uniq.com.au
Tue Sep 13 09:53:22 UTC 2011

On Mon, Sep 12, 2011 at 04:34:10PM -0700, Masao Kitamura wrote:
> > # PXE boots for jumpstarting x86 boxes
> > class "PXE" {
> >  match if substring(option vendor-class-identifier, 0, 9) = "PXEClient";
> >  next-server drill.example.com.au;
> >  filename "pxegrub.I86PC.Solaris_10-1";
> >  # 10 minutes should be long enough for PXE
> >  max-lease-time 600;
> >
> >  # append option 28 (1c in hex) to the requested list
> >  option dhcp-parameter-request-list =
> >    concat ( option dhcp-parameter-request-list, 1c );
> > }
>
> Glenn, this worked perfectly!
>
> Here is my working config:
>
> class "PXE" {
>  match if substring(option vendor-class-identifier, 0, 9) = "PXEClient";
>  next-server my.local.tftpd.server.org;
>  filename "pxelinux.0";
>  max-lease-time 600;
>  option dhcp-parameter-request-list = concat ( option
> dhcp-parameter-request-list, 1c );
> }
>
> The "next-server" and "filename" variables were absolutely necessary.
>
> Thanks again,
>
> Masao

Glad to hear it's working. The PXE class is a pretty standard
construct, and allows you to set all the PXE specific things in one
place.

Most dhcp clients seem to only test against the Microsoft dhcp server,
and I seem to remember hearing that this always supplies the broadcast
option, whether it is requested or not.

-glenn