Duplicated leases, same IP and same MAC

Shawn Routhier sar at isc.org
Tue Sep 20 18:24:00 UTC 2011

The dhcpd server updates the lease file by appending
new leases to the end.  With this strategy it's normal
to have multiple entries of a lease in the file as the
server adds entries when it renews or rebinds a lease.

In order to avoid the lease file growing without limit
the server will write a new file every so often - at
which point there would be only one entry per lease
until the server updates the lease in some fashion.

Shawn