DHCP query

ameen.shajahan at wipro.com ameen.shajahan at wipro.com
Wed Apr 18 07:03:53 UTC 2012

Hi all,
                Consider the scenario below.

[cid:image001.png at 01CD1D5E.C164EA40]
Client(PC)

    Server

                Have connected the server and client directly.

                Started the DHCP server in server side.
                Gave ipconfig /renew in client(PC) , IP address assigned to client PC .
                Then I stopped the DHCP server(dhcpd) in server side and gave ipconfig in client side to check whether it has the assigned IPaddress by the dhcp server. Yes client has IP address still.
                Eventhough we stopped the server , client still has IP address assigned by the server.
                How it is possible , without server how client is having the IP address given by the server.
                Also we can able to ping to the server because client having the IP address still.
                I think this could create a serious problem.
                Please let me know.

Thanks,
Ameen S

www.wipro.com