DHCP Relay: Duplicate packets for DHCPRELEASE and DHCPREQUEST

Sujata Verma sujataverma3 at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 18 13:05:48 UTC 2012

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, it is duplicating the unicast DHCPREQUEST packets as well.

So is it a bug, is there anything i can do to stop doing it ( in code ) ,  any pointers?

@Arun,

There is no switch in between, the setup to be precise is

Win Server-----------cross cable--------------Linux PC------------hub-------Win XP client

192.168.9.1/24            192.168.9.2/24                10.1.1.2/8              10.1.1.3/8 ( from server)

I changed the subnet as  above but same behavior.

One more observation :

if i disable ip_forward flag , the DHCP relay agent is sending only one DHCPRELEASE packet with correct giaddr ( incoming eth0 interface ). But as forwarding is disabled it is understood that the client DHCPRELEASE  message is not forwarded to the server but why the other "eth1" interface DHCPRELEASE message is not being generated from relay agent?

Any pointers?

Regards,
Sujata