Use Pool for BOOTP only

Thomas Herrmann THerrmann at ADwin.de
Wed Aug 22 11:57:55 UTC 2012

On 08/22/2012 11:35 AM, Simon Hobson wrote:
> What might work is :
>        class "dhcp" {
>             match if exists dhcp-message-type;
>         }
>
>         subnet 192.168.1.255 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
>             pool {
>                 # BOOTP clients only
>                 allow dynamic bootp clients;
>                 deny members of "dhcp";
>                 range 192.168.1.2 192.168.1.100;
>             }
>         }

This seems to work for me; at least bootp clients receive addresses with
this setup. I will check the logs for a while to make sure that no
addresses from the bootp range are given to DHCP clients.

Maybe the failover examples in the man page should be updated to include
this construct, because failover will not work for DHCP clients which
received addresses from the bootp range.

Regards
Thomas