dhclient: lease renewal woes

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Wed Aug 29 15:29:53 UTC 2012

Mr Dash Four wrote:

>>Do other dhcp clients (eg windows) work ok with the dhcp server in the
>>cable modem? Can you look at the settings those clients get from the cable
>>modem? eg on windows "ipconfig /all"
>>
>Nope. The cable modem sits directly between the outside world and my
>firewall, which shields/protects my entire set of private networks
>(all Linux based, with the odd exception of Windows 7 and Windows
>XP). In essence, this is my exit point where all external traffic is
>redirected.

I think what Glenn was getting at was "what happens if you use a
Windows client" ?
Ie, if you unplug your current equipment and plug in a Windows
machine - what happens ? Does it get the same settings ? Does it have
the same problem ?

If a Windows client behaves differently, then an obvious place to
look is the contents of the packets to see how the data exchanged
differs. If Windows is also affected, then you might have better luck
with your provider who may be taking an attitude of "only support
Windows, fob off the Linux using wierdo" which is sadly an all to
common attitude.

--
Simon Hobson