Failover and config differences

Chris Buxton chris.p.buxton at gmail.com
Mon Dec 17 17:20:36 UTC 2012

On Dec 17, 2012, at 1:42 AM, Phil Mayers wrote:

> On 12/17/2012 06:37 AM, Bjarne Blichfeldt wrote:
>> I think you two are talking about different things.
>
> That's possible. I must admit I don't understand where the "30%" number comes from in Chris' reply, but I do treat ISC dhcpd as more of a black box than most of our services, so it is entirely possibly the misunderstanding is mine.

Sorry, I misunderstood. My assumption was that you were talking about performance -- speed and capacity -- when I see now that was not the case.

The 30% figure comes from real-world experience with a variety of configurations. Sometimes a failover pair, together, can handle up to about 130% as many leases per second as a single stand-alone server. Sometimes, due to configuration details, the failover pair's performance is lower than that of a single server, such that the pair together can answer about 70% as many leases per second as the stand-alone server. These are rough figures, of course, based on my own experiences.

Regardless, you were talking about something else and I misunderstood. My apologies.

Chris Buxton
BlueCat Networks