No subject

Fri Feb 17 00:23:59 UTC 2012

will establish network connectivity - "ifup eth0" (with BOOTPROTO=dhcp) has
no patience and "dhcpd" (with no broadcast interfaces available) has no
patience.  Did I mention that this dhcp client is also my dhcp server
machine? Server and client are coincident.

I have tried some silly things:
"dhcpd lo" -- that works (dhcpd runs), but is totally useless.
"dhcpd eth0" with eth0 down, -- that almost works - if I knew how to
configure subnet 0.0.0.0  J

A less silly thing that I tried was "dhclient eth0 &; dhcpd"  Here the
interface comes up and broadcasts DHCPDISCOVER, but dhcpd fails to recognize
eth0 in this interim state - even though ifconfig shows "UP BROADCAST
RUNNING MULTICAST." and dhcpd will not run.  The DHCPDISCOVER broadcasts
fall on deaf ears.

So, I really have a two questions and only one is a dhcp question.  If I
knew where to post the "'ifup eth0' patience" question, I would, but even
still, there is a dhcp question.  Why doesn't dhcpd recognize eth0 in the
provisional state established by dhclient?  Alternatively, how can I dhcp
configure the network interface on the dhcp server itself?  Seems like that
should be trivial.

Chris.

Fill what's empty, empty what's full, and scratch where it itches.
Life is a journey, not a destination ...