change ip address every 6 hours

sthaug at nethelp.no sthaug at nethelp.no
Wed Feb 15 08:20:26 UTC 2012

> Our "legitimate" reason is : we want to charge subcribers for fixed ip
> address service.
> So others must have their ip addresses changed regularly.

It is perfectly possible to charge subscribers for a fixed address and
let DHCP behave as it was designed to do. DHCP will then give other
customers a dynamic address that *may* change, no guarantees.  But it
*usually* won't change (because the DHCP RFC explicitly specifies that
behavior).

If this behavior isn't enough for your needs, you could start editing
the leases file to explicitly change addresses. Note that this can
only be done with the DHCP server stopped. In other words, your system
needs to stop the DHCP server, edit the leases file, then restart the
DHCP server.

There is no built-in mechanism in ISC dhcpd to do what you want.

Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sthaug at nethelp.no