change ip address every 6 hours

perl-list perl-list at network1.net
Wed Feb 15 14:11:49 UTC 2012

You could switch to PPPoE and set a maximum session length of 6 hours. Your users would get disconnected every six hours. When they reconnect there is a good chance that they wouldn't get the same IP.

Those that are savvy enough to have it auto-reconnect would likely not be TERRIBLY p**sed. Those that aren't savvy would be calling support to complain that they get disconnected every six hours. You would have to tell them the truth, I would imagine, regarding your max session length. Used to work tech support many moons ago when some of our customers had a similar setup for dialup. It does NOT make for happy customers, I can assure you. Imagine you are downloading that large file via HTTP. If it takes long than six hours, you will never be able to download it on your service.