Segment network for wireless

Ashley M. Kirchner ashley at pcraft.com
Sun Jan 8 01:21:14 UTC 2012

     Hi folks,

     I wonder if anyone here can help me with a new wireless setup.
This is what I have right now:

     Comcast Internet Service goes from wall into cable modem.

     The cable modem then goes connected to a linux server which acts as
the internal firewall and also DHCP for the rest of the network.  This
server has two network cards in it, one of them is for the cable modem,
and the other goes to the network switch.

     From the network switch, I have several devices plugged in.  That
network is 192.168.3.x

     Now I'd like to add a wireless router to the mix.  So it goes
connected to the network switch as well, and receives a 192.168.3.x IP
address and the proper DNS information which is passed on from the linux
server.

     Now comes the fun part ... I'd like for it to behave in one of two
ways, either:

     - serve as a dhcp server just for the wireless network and also
hand out IPs in the 192.168.3.x range, or
     - have it pass all dhcp requests down to the main linux server -
and I don't know if this is possible

     Reason is, I want the wireless devices to be able to access the NAS
devices that are manages through the linux server.

     I can easily segment the network within the dhcpd config file by
saying 192.168.3.1 to 192.168.3.30 is reserved only for the wireless
device to use, and the rest is for the linux server itself to hand
out.   And I can easily tell the wireless router to use that IP range to
hand out to wireless devices, however I don't know if that will actually
work.

     Or, I could turn off the dhcp server on the wireless router, and do
port forwarding from it to the linux server, but again, I don't know if
that will work either.

     So, what's the best way to approach this?