[DHCP] Re: Segment network for wireless

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Sun Jan 8 09:28:30 UTC 2012

Ashley M. Kirchner wrote:

>>Disable DHCP on the wireless device and put it in AP mode and all
>>DHCP requests will go to the Linux box.
>>
>>You can configure a static for the AP within DHCP so that you can
>>access the web config page.
>>

>     Yeah, this is the part I'm trying to figure out.  I can disable
>the DHCP server on the wireless router, but then what ...  I don't
>know where nor how to set it in AP mode.  It's a Netgear WNR2000v3.

Most routers don't handle this. Simple answer is to disable DHCP so
the router cannot mess up your network, and plug it into your LAN
using one of it's LAN ports - do NOT use the WAN port. Because it
bridges the WLAN and LAN together, it will now act as a dumb wireless
access point and be completely transparent to the rest of the network.

--
Simon Hobson