DHCPD issues.

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Tue Jan 10 21:04:52 UTC 2012

Stack KororÇ wrote:

>Whenever I boot any of the VM's the IP always
>lands in the 172.31.202.x IP address range.

And if you look closely, they also probably have
the wrong options (such as router - if you were
specifying it).

>subnet 172.31.201.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
>     default-lease-time 86400;
>     max-lease-time 86400;
>     deny unknown-clients;
>     range 172.31.201.1 172.31.201.254;
>     group "devnet" {
>         host dev001.project.local { hardware ethernet 08:00:27:11:4B:E8; }

         ^^^^^
   THIS DOES NOT WORK

Host statement are global in scope, so any
defined host statement "exists" in all subnets.
However, what you will find is that the host will
inherit options from the subnet where it's host
statement is declared - even though they are
invalid for wherever it happens to be.

For this setup, your best bet is classes and
subclasses (check the man page where there is a
specific example of allocating devices to classes
based on MAC).

then you can do :
shared subnet ...
   subnet ...