DHCPv6 Prefix Delegation Clarification

perl-list perl-list at network1.net
Thu Jan 12 15:26:35 UTC 2012

The man page (man 5 dhcpd.conf) states the following regarding prefix delegation:

The prefix6 statement

prefix6 low-address high-address / bits;

The prefix6 is the range6 equivalent for Prefix Delegation (RFC 3633). Prefixes of bits length are assigned between low-address and high-address.

Any IPv6 prefixes given to static entries (hosts) with fixed-prefix6 are excluded from the prefix6.

This statement is currently global but it should have a shared-network scope.

My specific question is in regards to the final statement. Does this mean that the prefix6 statement can currently be confined to a shared-network scope but DHCP will not barf if it is in a global position, or that it will be global in scope even if placed inside a shared-network scope?

The reason I ask, is that if it is global even if in a specific shared-network statement, invalid networks could be delegated to clients on completely separate physical networks in our implementation.

Thank you,

Darren