DHCPv6 Prefix Delegation Clarification

perl-list perl-list at network1.net
Thu Jan 19 13:35:10 UTC 2012

Ok - finally received a test client (Dlink router) that would actually ask for a prefix delegation. For anyone who needs the answer to this question, the prefix6 statement is scoped to the shared-network {} block despite what the man page says. If there is no prefix6 statement in the shared-network {} block, the client gets no prefix delegation with the following log message:

Jan 19 13:25:34 dhcpserver dhcpd: Unable to pick client prefix: no IPv6 prefix pools on this shared network

even though there was a prefix6 statement in another shared-network {} block.