DHCPv6 and MAC Address inclusion

scott_stone at trendmicro.com scott_stone at trendmicro.com
Tue Jan 24 23:01:32 UTC 2012

the way it seems to work now (RH client + ISC DHCPD server) is:

1. system is installed
2. on firstboot, dhcpv6 client generates unique DUID and stores it (does not seem based on hardware address at all)
3. this is sent as the DUID in all client negotiations for DHCPv6

ie, out of the box, RH clients do not send per-interface unique requests, and the requests they do send are generated with random IDs that we can't know before the OS is installed and is not persistent between OS re-installs.

That's the observed behavior, anyway.

Scott Stone <scott_stone at trendmicro.com>
Manager, DCS-RD
Trend Micro, Inc. http://www.trendmicro.com