DHCPv6 and MAC Address inclusion

Ted Lemon Ted.Lemon at nominum.com
Wed Jan 25 16:38:57 UTC 2012

On Jan 24, 2012, at 6:25 PM, <scott_stone at trendmicro.com<mailto:scott_stone at trendmicro.com>> wrote:
am I missing something here in terms of how this client and this server are implemented...?

It sounds like a real problem, although part of it is that the DHCP client sounds like it's broken.   You might want to make sure it's up to date.   As far as I know, the state of the art in DHCPv6 support is a fast-moving target, so the fact that it doesn't work for you in CentOS doesn't mean that the problem you are having hasn't been solved.   Windows would be a huge problem at this point, though if you can't make what's there work.   I suppose there's a window of opportunity (yuk yuk) for getting a fix into Windows 8 if the current version isn't doing the right thing.   You might also want to look at ways of solving this in the relay agent.

However, I would like to reiterate that while there is interest in sending the MAC address in an option in the IETF, there's no active push going on in the working group; if you want this, you should consider doing some pushing.