DHCPv6 and MAC Address inclusion

scott_stone at trendmicro.com scott_stone at trendmicro.com
Thu Jan 26 05:20:07 UTC 2012

It's been a while since I worked at 2Wire, but while there I did manage several DSLAMs for the testing/QA lab.  A DSLAM itself is a layer 2 device - layer 3 is handled by something called an "access concentrator".  That said, some vendors (the Cisco 6400 units that I had there) combine the 2 into a single chassis (kind of like a layer 3 routing switch, except for the DSL world).  Canonically speaking though, a DSLAM itself is like an ethernet switch in that it is simply a layer 2 device.

Unless things have changed in the last few years?

Scott Stone <scott_stone at trendmicro.com>
Manager, DCS-RD
Trend Micro, Inc. http://www.trendmicro.com