host-identifier and option 82

Michal Vančo mvanco at di-vision.sk
Thu Jan 26 23:10:26 UTC 2012

Hi,

I've just tried to use host-identifier to assign static IPv4 address based on option 82 agent.remote-id like this:

host hostname {
host-identifier option agent.remote-id XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX;
fixed-address aaa.aaa.aaa.aaa;
}

this apparently works until client renews its IP address. DHCPREQUEST is going directly from client to server bypassing relay agent which means that there is no option 82 inserted when client is trying to renew address. So server is unable to match DHCPREQUEST against host declaration. Am I right in this? Is there any workaround? Any clue?

thanks
michal