host-identifier and option 82

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Fri Jan 27 12:30:35 UTC 2012

Michal Vanão wrote:

>The only problem I've seen so far is that the
>client fails to renew its IP after T1 passes
>(because RENEWING DHCPREQUEST is sent directly
>to server bypassing agent relay). If I
>understand the RFC correctly, client should
>"succeed" in REBIND (after T2 passes) because
>REBINDING DHCPREQUEST is broadcasted hence seen
>by relay agent. Relay agent shall add opt 82
>into DHCPREQUEST in this stage. With properly
>inserted opt 82, server should be able to match
>static host decl again.
>
>Is this the way it is supposed to work?

I suspect it's one of those "grey areas" ! If a
relay agent only adds Option 82 to packets it
picks up through "normal" operation, then what
you've observed is correct.

While it's not something I've used myself, from
comments on this list I get the impression that
some equipment will snoop traffic and still add
Option 82 to non-broadcast DHCP packets. That
does of course require that the relay agent is in
the same path as the normal unicast packets - ie
a unicast DHCP packet will pass through the same
interface, and thus get the same Option 82 value
as it would if broadcast.

--
Simon Hobson