Reverse DDNS on classless zones

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Wed Jul 18 15:30:08 UTC 2012

Subject fixed, surplus quoted stuff trimmed, and bottom posting ...

atif yameen wrote:

>Thanks for the reply. I have gone through the rfc 2317. I do have
>all the cnames required in the right format in my parent zone, i.e.
>129.119/16. The issue is with DHCP not registering the record in the
>right format. it does register it in the right zone but not the
>right format.

It won't do, and never will.
The DHCP server will do exactly one thing - reverse the octets and
append the zone specified. It does not understand the rfc2317 bodgery
and is never likely to. So for a client w.x.y.z, the DHCP server will
never set the reverse DNS for anything but z.y.x.w.<something>.
<something> defaults to in-addr.arpa, but as you've realised this can
be changed.

So I'd suggest forgetting about the RFC2317 format. Just set yoursefl
up a zone like y.x.w.reverse.b.com, set ddns-rev-domainname to
reverse.b.com, and set your CNAMEs to point to
128.y.x.w.reverse.b.com, 129.y.x.w.reverse.b.com, and so on.

--
Simon Hobson