DHCPv6 not updating DDNS

Scott F. Comstock scott at scottcomstock.com
Tue Jun 5 00:43:07 UTC 2012

On 6/4/12 7:48 AM, Glenn Satchell wrote:
> Can you use tcpdump to capture traffic between the dhcp and dns
> servers to see if there are any requests being sent over?

I tried that this evening.  No requests are being sent, but I was able
to use nsupdate on the DHCP box (wilykat) to make zone updates to the
DNS box (wilykit), and these updates were reflected in the tcpdump
output and the BIND logs.

As for the debugger/strace idea, I'll give it a shot but I'll probably
need to rebuild DHCP with debugging symbols.  I'll continue to look
through the mailing list for the AAAA vs. A record issue.

On 6/4/12 6:04 PM, Nicholas C. wrote:
> Maybe the problem isn't on the server side, are you sure that the
> clients are sending a hostname? What OS and DHCPv6 software are they
> running?

I'm pretty sure they are, since both systems in question are running
CentOS 6.2 and their hostnames are registered properly on the IPv4 side
of the fence.

Thanks for your help,
-Scott