How to configure the dhclient.conf to let it eventually accept an OFFER even if no OFFERs satisfy the requirements?

Łukasz Siemiradzki lukasz.siemiradzki at gmail.com
Wed Jun 13 23:37:28 UTC 2012

2012/6/14 Chengyu Fan <chengy.fan at gmail.com>:
> Hi~
> Does anyone know that if there is a way to let the DHCP client accept a
> DHCPOFFER when there is no OFFER satisfy his requirement?
>
> Specifically, my DHCP client requests an private option in the DHCPDISCOVER,
> and I want it always choose the OFFER with that private option first.

What do you mean by private option? Do you mean rfc2132 option tags?

> But if the servers in the local domain don't provide this option, the client
> needs to choose an OFFER and request an IP address. So the client can always
> have an IP.
>
> How to configure the dhclient.conf can make it work as above?

If I understand you correctly you should limit the "request" list to
the absolute minimum. I.e. on my debian the list is following:
request subnet-mask, broadcast-address, time-offset, routers,
        domain-name, domain-name-servers, domain-search,
        netbios-name-servers, netbios-scope, interface-mtu,
        rfc3442-classless-static-routes, ntp-servers;
you may change this into:
 request subnet-mask, broadcast-address,routers;

Regards / Pozdrawiam
Łukasz Siemiradzki
--
"Omnes homines natura scire desiderant"