subclass or class not working in dhcp

Frank Bulk frnkblk at iname.com
Thu Jun 14 15:17:20 UTC 2012

Arun:

You shouldn't need to use subclasses to separate the DHCP assignment of CMs
and CPE.  We have a CMTS and have never needed subclasses.  We specify
helper addresses on our CMTS:

cable helper-address a.b.c.d cable-modem global

cable helper-address a.b.c.d host global

cable helper-address a.b.c.d mta global

The first address of the loopback interface on the CMTS uses an IP address
in the CM range and the secondary IPs belong to the CPE.

In our DHCP configuration we use a shared subnet for the CPE because there
are several noncontiguous netblocks.

Frank