Questions for a dhclient using DHCPv6

k.fujinaga k.fujinaga at sdy.co.jp
Fri Jun 15 12:33:00 UTC 2012

HI, all.

Does anyone know any ideas to solve problems?
# My English is not good, so please be patient to read following questions.

- Question 1.
Can the dhclient set IPaddress to ethernet interface by using IA_PD mode?

To get a IPv6 addresses, I tried to use the dhclient (isc-dhcp 4.2.4) on
ubuntsu 11.04.
In my network, the DHCPv6 server requires IPv6 prefix delegation
mode(IA_PD).
So, I executed the dhclient as follows.

- command line
# ./dhclient -d -6 -P -D LL
              -cf /etc/dhcp/dhclient.conf
              -lf /var/tmp/lease_file
              -pf /var/tmp/pid_file
              -sf /var/tmp/dhcp-4.2.4/client/scripts/linux
              eth0
             # I used 4.2.4's script file.

- config file (/etc/dhcp/dhclient.conf)
send dhcp6.reconf-accept;

request dhcp6.vendor-opts,
         dhcp6.sip-servers-addresses,
         dhcp6.name-servers,
         dhcp6.domain-search,
         dhcp6.sntp-servers;
--

The dhclient dhclient could communicate to DHCPv6 server, and got IA
prefix. But, the dhclient didn't set IP address to ethernet

If the "-P" option is used, the dhclient set an environment variable
"new_ip6_prefix" for the script file.
But if "new_ip6_prefix" is defined, the 4.2.4's script file
(client/scripts/linux) do nothing as follows.

 > # client/scripts/linux line.263.
 > if [ x$reason = xBOUND6 ] ; then
 >   if [ x${new_ip6_address} = x ] || [ x${new_ip6_prefixlen} = x ] ; then
 >     exit_with_hooks 2;
 > fi

Does anyone know how to solve this problem??

- Question 2.

In my network, the DHCP server requires "Option Request" option for
DHCPv6 messages except SOLICIT message.
If the config setting is follows, the dhclient set "Option Request"
option to all DHCPv6 message.

- config file (/etc/dhcp/dhclient.conf)
request dhcp6.vendor-opts,
         dhcp6.sip-servers-addresses,
         dhcp6.name-servers,
         dhcp6.domain-search,
         dhcp6.sntp-servers;
--

Please teach me the config setting to select target massage.

--
Best regards

Katsuhisa Fujinaga