doubt in relay concept

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Tue Mar 6 07:35:46 UTC 2012

ameen.shajahan at wipro.com wrote:

>Server--------------------------relay-------------------------client
>44.44.4.1                    44.44.4.8           55.55.55.1
>

>Subnet declaration in /etc/dhcpd.conf  for both the subnets
>44.44.4.0 and 55.55.5.0
>
>While issuing ipconfig/renew in client which IP address  will be
>assigned to clients.

55.55.... of course. Why would it be anything else ?
Of course, that assumes the relay agent if properly set up and had an
interface on the clients network with a 55.55.... address and you've
just forgotten to show that on your diagram.

That's a really, really basic question. I can recommend you track
down a book called "The DHCP Handbook" by Ralph Droms and Ted Lemon -
there's a second edition out but either will suffice for your needs
until you get into failover which isn't covered in the first edition.
This will explain everything you need to know - and more.

--
Simon Hobson