Master/slave configuration

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Thu Mar 8 15:35:19 UTC 2012

Alan Buxey wrote:

>Yes. That's the info he was looking for. It's not just Linux
>though...windows machines also have annoying DNS lookup behaviour
>too I like the idea of being able to have a config on a server to
>change/fix client behaviour...but from the top of my head its not
>possible (i guess its not or we would have done it!) ;)

I'm guessing you have problems when a DNS server is "down" for
whatever reason. Result is clients taking long times to connect while
they timeout queries before trying another server, and on Windows the
clients will permanently re-order the server search order.

I'd suggest this is better fixed at the network level - using any of
the technologies that will allow what looks like "a server" to be
provided by multiple machines with redundancy. Methods I can think of
off the top of my head include :
clustering (multiple machines servicing one IP address)
failover (one machine "taking over" a shared IP address if it's partner fails)
anycast (the "network" reconfigures itself so that the client can
reach "a server" and the network takes care of routing that traffic
to a server that's up and running)

--
Simon Hobson