Failover communication

Loren M. Lang lorenl at north-winds.org
Sun Mar 18 01:44:38 UTC 2012

On 3/14/2012 7:20 AM, Smith Bill wrote:

> Hi
>
> Does anyone have any detailed information regarding the communication
> that happens between two dhcp servers configured for failover -- I
> have two servers that don't seem to talk to each other and the tcpdump
> is showing block icmp traffic so I guess I need to know if dhcp
> communicates with its failover partner via icmp.

The DHCP Failover protocol uses TCP only.  I believe this IETF Internet
Draftdiscusses a proposed version of it, but as it never became an RFC,
it may not be 100% accurate.

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-dhc-failover-12

As for using tcpdump, set a capture filter like "tcp port 9999" and
replace 9999 with the port line you used in the failover peer block from
dhcpd.conf.  To analyze the protocol, I recommend using Wireshark.  You
can use Wireshark to do the capture directly, or you can tell tcpdump to
save it's capture to a file which Wireshark can open.  Use the tcpdump
options "-w dhcp-failover.pcap -s 0" to save it to a file.  Wireshark
can decode a decent amount of the protocol and it shouldn't be too hard
to figure out what's wrong.  Here's my failover configuration:

failover peer "peer" {
         secondary;
         address 192.168.1.5;
         port 7111;
         peer address 192.168.1.7;
         peer port 7111;
         max-response-delay 60;
         max-unacked-updates 10;
         mclt 3600;
         load balance max seconds 3;
}

> Regards
>
> Bill Smith
>
> Senior Solutions Architect
>
> Architecture & Design H&NS North
>
> Fujitsu Services
>
> Tel: 07867 821165
>
> Email:bill.smith at uk.fujitsu.com
>

> Unless otherwise stated, this email has been sent from Fujitsu
> Services Limited, from Fujitsu (FTS) Limited, or from Fujitsu
> Telecommunications Europe Limited, together "Fujitsu".
>
> This email is only for the use of its intended recipient. Its contents
> are subject to a duty of confidence and may be privileged. Fujitsu
> does not guarantee that this email has not been intercepted and
> amended or that it is virus-free.
>
> Fujitsu Services Limited, registered in England No 96056, registered
> office 22 Baker Street, London W1U 3BW.
>
> Fujitsu (FTS) Limited, registered in England No 03808613, registered
> office 22 Baker Street, London W1U 3BW.
>
> Fujitsu Telecommunications Europe Limited, registered in England No
> 2548187, registered office Solihull Parkway, Birmingham Business Park,
> Birmingham, B37 7YU.

Loren M. Lang
lorenl at north-winds.org
http://www.north-winds.org/

Public Key: ftp://ftp.north-winds.org/pub/lorenl_pubkey.asc
Fingerprint: 10A0 7AE2 DAF5 4780 888A  3FA4 DCEE BB39 7654 DE5B