dhcpd.conf logging statement documentation

Glenn Satchell glenn.satchell at uniq.com.au
Tue Mar 27 11:12:21 UTC 2012

from the dhcp-eval man page:

     log (priority, data-expr)

       Logging statements may be used to send information to  the
       standard  logging  channels.  A logging statement includes
       an optional priority (fatal, error, info, or debug), and a
       data expression.

       Logging statements take  only  a  single  data  expression
       argument,  so  if you want to output multiple data values,
       you will need to use the concat  operator  to  concatenate
       them.

This needs to be used in conjunction with the log-facility command
(dhcpd.conf man page) and /etc/syslog.conf (may be rsyslog.conf or similar
depending on what your linux distr4o provides).

So, in the syslog.conf you can define different destination files for the
different log levels.

As an example from one of my systems, I have this in dhcpd.conf:

log-facility local7;

and this is from my syslog.conf:

*.debug,local6.none,local7.none                 /var/log/syslog
# DHCP
local7.debug                                    /var/log/dhcp/dhcpd.log

To reduce the volume of logging, adjust the level parameter used with
local7 - debug means log everything, the levels of reducing volume are:
debug, info, notice, warn, err, crit, alert, emerg, none.

You'll need to experiment or look atthe source to see what level various
messages are logged at. For a busy site you'll probably want to go to warn
or err perhaps.

HTH.

regards,
-glenn