lease renewal activity

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Thu Mar 29 20:32:52 UTC 2012

Jamie Savage wrote:

>Discover, Offer, Request Ack....life is good.  Subsequent requests
>at the 5 minute half-life.......again...all is well......until 10:22
>where the requests are no longer 5 minutes apart and then a discover
>is initiated at 10.24 and then the 5 minute half-life requests start
>again.

My guess is that <something> happened to prevent packets being
received. So renewal at 10:14 went OK, but renewal at 10:19 (50% of
lease used) failed. Since you say you didn't touch it, I guess you've
no idea if any other network traffic was working.

At 10:22, about 75% of lease used, the client starts to renew more
vigorously. Finally, at 10:24:46 (7 seconds before lease expires),
the client gives up and broadcasts a Discover. At this point, the
<something> that broke the network got fixed (by the act of the DHCP
client configuring the interface ?) and the client then continued
normally.

As to what the <something> is, no ideas !

--
Simon Hobson