DHCPv6 renew timer problem

Vladimir-M. Obelic vobelic at gbit6.net
Thu May 10 21:30:03 UTC 2012

Hi,

I'm using the 4.1.1.-P1 version of dhcp server in IPv6 mode.
I'm having a problem regarding the renew timer.
A client (non isc, part of the SpirentTestCenter app/tool) solicits a
lease with explicitly defined renew timer. The ISC server replies with
both T1 and T2 set to 0.
On the client itself no renewal operation is performed and the lease
expires when the lease time expires.
The only extra options (except subnet6/range6) that I used in
dhcpd.conf is 'default-lease-time 6000; max-lease-time 7200;'.
Here's the wireshark capture of the 4-way dhcpv6 session:
http://pastebin.com/3j5wznRZ
As you can see the client solicits with T1/T2 values set explicitly.
The server apparently ignores this.

A different server, the STC dhcpv6 server explicitly sends the T2/T1
values in the advertise/reply messages and the client properly renews
the lease. I'm guessing the client must be told the T2/T1 timer
values, else it assumes renew/rebind is disabled?
Basically is there a way to force the server to supply T2/T1 timer values?

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Regards,
Vladimir