Replies to request coming over a relay goes to relay's internal IP, not to original request's source IP

Glenn Satchell glenn.satchell at uniq.com.au
Sat Oct 6 14:39:57 UTC 2012

Hi Oguz

A dhcp relay talks to the dhcp server using unicast packets. So the dhcp
relay machine uses the routing table to send the packet, this will have a
source IP of the interface sending the packet, not necessarily the
external subnet. Likewise the dhcp server will send the packet back to the
relay. The path to deliver them uses normal routing table entries to
select the interface and next hop. Without a route it cannot work.

I don't understand what you are asking for. Do you want a different way to
direct the packets to the destination? Remember this has to work across
subnets and routers, so broadcast won't satisfy that requirement.

Perhaps give us some more information about what you are trying to
achieve? Such as describe your network layout, and why you can't route to
the subnet where the dhcrelay is running?

regards,
-glenn

On Sat, October 6, 2012 6:33 pm, Oguz Yilmaz wrote:
> Your were right Simon. dhcprelay was not listening all interfaces. I
> have solved this. Please check my second email. Now I have no route to
> subnet delivering IP for. There should be configuration way to
> ditribute subnets to relays even if we have no route to those subnets.
>
> --
> Oguz YILMAZ
>

> On Sat, Oct 6, 2012 at 11:25 AM, Simon Hobson <dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk>
> wrote:
>> Oguz Yilmaz wrote:
>>
>>> Dhcpd running on Linux gets a dhcp request over dhcrelay which is
>>> running on other remote machine.
>>>
>>> Oct  6 10:09:46 2012 dhcpd: DHCPDISCOVER from 00:1e:68:06:eb:37
>>> (oguz-U300) via 172.16.17.81
>>>
>>> tcpdump: listening on eth1, link-type EN10MB (Ethernet), capture size
>>> 96
>>> bytes