Configuration by subclass and subnet

Sten Carlsen stenc at s-carlsen.dk
Thu Oct 18 14:41:07 UTC 2012

On 18/10/12 16:32, Glenn Satchell wrote:
> The subnet (or pool) matches on each relay agent already, so putting it in
> a class is making hard work for yourself.
>
> If several subnets have the same option 43 value then they could be put in
> a group.
>
> A class for all the non-relay specific items is a good idea though, eg
> base on vendor-id or other specific item that identifies those devices.
>
> I think Simon also mentioned, that the dhcp server only sends the options
> a client requests, so if the client doesn't request option 43 then it
> won't be sent. This simplifies things a lot.
Right, my question was also more generic, IF for some obscure reason I
decide it makes sense to have two classifications based on X and Y , so
I would have, say:

classes X1, X2, X3, ...
classes Y1, Y2, Y3, ...

All devices belong to one of the Xn classes *and* to one of the Yn
classes. This could give me some freedom to use allow/deny to allocate
from pools, etc.

I happen to put option Z in both class X3 and Y2 (my mistake or
something very convoluted) how would dhcp decide which option Z to use?
the one from X3 or the one from Y2?