IPV6 Dynamic Address Stability

Martin McCormick martin at dc.cis.okstate.edu
Mon Oct 29 17:01:53 UTC 2012

This is a question about best IPV6 practice.
We will most likely begin transitionning to IPV6 one day
soon and I frankly want us to get started on the best possible
path to fully use IPV6's capabilities so that human intervention
is minimal.

	If a client gets an IPV6 dynamic lease is he or she any
less likely to spontaneously loose the allocation if an
accidental or malicious client tries to use the same IP
address?

	On our main campus, we have around 9500 bootP
allocations and several more thousand dynamic hosts. Malicious
activity is fairly small, but what can scientifically be
referred to as "bone-head" mistakes such as imaging one machine
from another and including the IP configuration in that image
happen often enough that it is somewhat of a problem in areas
where a number of people know just enough to be dangerous.

	Thanks for all constructive ideas.

Martin McCormick WB5AGZ  Stillwater, OK
Systems Engineer