DHCP server failover behind relay

Vadym Abramchuk abramm at gmail.com
Wed Sep 5 19:39:31 UTC 2012

Greetings.

I'm building a fault-safe DHCP service for a routed network.
At present time I have a single isc dhcp server listening at unicast
address and several DHCP relay agents, mostly layer-3 switches. My clients
are at different subnets.

Failover setup for isc-dhcpd is a well-known, however, both server and
clients MUST be in the same subnet; a server may ignore requests if it
thinks that it should be processed by a peer. It works well with broadcast,
but fails for relayed requests.

So build-in failover does not work for relays.

Another option is external load balancer (I'm looking at keepalived), so I
need the following scheme: both primary and secondary servers should
respond to all requests it recieve.

So, is there any option to:
a) use a lease database synchronization provided by built-in failover;
and
b) while all other failover features (like LTS, load balancing etc) should
be disabled?

I've tried setting hba to all ff, but this disabled failover peer's answers.

--
wbr,
Vadym Abramchuk