General protection error in dhcpd 4.2.1

John Miller johnmill at brandeis.edu
Wed Sep 12 14:40:15 UTC 2012

Hello folks,

We're running dhcpd 4.2.1P1 on our main campus dhcp servers.  A little
after 9 today, we noticed that dhcpd had crashed, logging the following:

Sep 12 09:01:47 dhcp2 kernel: dhcpd[28581] general protection rip:48a71d
rsp:7fff31599680 error:0

We have a watchdog script that restarted it for us, but a couple of
minutes later, we saw the same thing:

Sep 12 09:03:45 dhcp2 kernel: dhcpd[18664] general protection rip:48a71d
rsp:7fff135328a0 error:0

Looking at the changelogs, I see there's a potential DoS bug prior to
4.2.2, as well as some memory leak and segfault issues prior to 4.2.3
and 4.2.4P1.

Has anyone run into this particular crash?  Is an upgrade
warranted?(though I think I already know the answer ;-)

We're running hundreds of pools, so I'll spare you those, but I've
pasted our overall config below my sigblock.

John
--
John Miller
Systems Engineer
johnmill at brandeis.edu

###################################
# Main Configuration Directives
option domain-name "brandeis.edu";
option domain-name-servers 192.168.0.2 198.168.0.3;
option ntp-servers time.unet.brandeis.edu;
default-lease-time 60;
max-lease-time 60;
deny bootp;
authoritative;

###################################
# Dynamic DNS Updates
ddns-update-style interim;
ddns-hostname = concat ("dhcp-", binary-to-ascii (10, 8, "-",
leased-address));
ddns-domainname "dyn.brandeis.edu";
deny client-updates;
do-forward-updates true;

key "ddnskey" {
         algorithm hmac-md5;
         secret "BartenderJobuNeedsARefill";
};

zone dyn.brandeis.edu. {
         primary 192.168.0.1;
         key ddnskey;
}

# make fixed-address entries use dynamic dns too
update-static-leases on;

# Custom DHCP Options
option option-144 code 144 = text;

# OMAPI Configuration
omapi-port 900;

# Failover Configuration
# We include a host specific failover config file, so
# that we can ensure this file is the same between the
# two dhcp servers.

include "/etc/dhcp/failover.conf";