DHCPv6 client classification based on DUID.

Alex Bligh alex at alex.org.uk
Fri Sep 21 16:36:46 UTC 2012

--On 20 September 2012 18:50:06 +0000 Ted Lemon <Ted.Lemon at nominum.com>
wrote:

> On Sep 20, 2012, at 2:37 PM, "Alex Bligh" <alex at alex.org.uk> wrote:
>> Has anyone worked out how (e.g.) PXEboot would work with IPv6? I presume
>> it would need to generate the DUID and some how magically pass this to
>> the host OS.
>
> Section 7 of RFC4361 speaks to this question.

As far as I can tell, its two proposed solutions are:
 1. Use short lease times ("Firstly")
 2. Boot using IPv4 instead ("Secondly")

The second is not 'PXEboot working with DHCP+IPv6' - I'd have thought
the obvious answer would be to use IPv6+stateless configuration if
solutions avoiding using DHCPv6 are to be permitted!

(1) does not help much if one is trying to work out what to serve
to the server concerned based on IP address (which is normally the
only thing you have).

--
Alex Bligh