dhcp cluster fails to issue static lease when partner down for too long

Christ Schlacta lists at aarcane.org
Sun Sep 23 06:10:00 UTC 2012

so I've got a bunch of static leases configured in my config files, and
a pair of systems configured as a small cluster.  Well, when one system
was down (we left on vacation, wanted to save some resources) for about
3 days, the static leases would no longer issue when we returned.  In
the logs was a message similar to "Peer holds all the leases", or
something like that.  I don't have the logs handy.
I believe this is a pretty serious BUG.  dhcpd should NEVER refuse or
fail to issue a deterministic lease, one that's either statically
defined, or defined in terms of a dns entry, or similarly
deterministically defined.