dhcpd.leases file is growing out of control after upgrade

Adam Moffett adamlists at plexicomm.net
Mon Aug 5 21:46:47 UTC 2013

> On 08/05/2013 09:59 AM, Scott Baker wrote:
>> :ls -lsa
>> total 291628
>>       4 drwxr-xr-x   2 root  root       4096 Aug  5 07:51 .
>
> This is your problem. The directory is not writable by the dhcpd user,
> so it cannot swap the leases file while running unprivileged. When you
> restart the server it can write out the new leases file before it
> drops privileges. You should actually be seeing error messages about
> this in your logs.
>
> Change the owner of the directory to dhcpd and it should work fine.
>
> hope this helps,
>
> Doug

Um...interesting.  The isc-dhcp-server package provided by Ubuntu 12.04
seems to set that ownership incorrectly.  My lease file has also been
growing.  Not as rapidly as the OP, but dhcpd.leases~ definitely doesn't
change unless I restart the service.  I just chown'd it to dhcpd user,
but I guess I'll have to make a bug report with Ubuntu.